Saturday 12 February 2011

Chilli Padi



This is mom's chilli padi tree in her garden. Neighbours and relatives are all welcome to pick them. They are very spicy and can be eaten raw, perserved in vinegar or used in curry or sambal dishes.

Chilli padi (padi is the Malay word for paddy refering to the rice grain it resembles) or cabai burung is also known as bird's eye chilli. The birds love to pick the ripe ones which are bright red. We pick the green ones so they preserve better. The tree is about a meter high and you only need one tree for the whole neighbourhood. The flowers are white and the fruit is only about 1 inch in length.

The ones sold in Singapore is a different variety and they are about 2 inches in length and not as spicy as these ones.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Wendy, I an sure My DH would love those peppers. The hotter the better to him. Me I would never eat one!! LOL I really enjoy seeing all those "Rabbits" about the city. Very Neat. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, i love chilli padi. can't eat my food with any. it's become a habit! lol

    sometimes we get those fr indonesia which are way spicier than our local variety. good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first visit to your site and I absolutely love it. I was searching for an embroidery pattern and found your tatted heart that you sent to someone and it was off from there. I love tatting, actually have the shuttle and thread but haven't learned. I crochet, quilt and scrapbook..and work full time with a family so I am sure you can see there is limited time for a new hobby. Thanks so much for your site. I will come back very often. Brenda

    ReplyDelete