Wednesday 20 July 2011

Bittergourd Omelette



Not everyone likes the bittergourd. I love it when cooked this way. It was how my grandmother and mom cooked it. I love having it with rice. Just halve the fruit, remove the seeds and slice thinly. Sprinkle some salt to remove some of the bitterness, rinse with water and fry with chopped garlic before adding the beaten egg. Flavour the beaten egg with soya sauce and pepper. Hmmmm yummy! One of my father's favourite bittergourd dish is a soup cooked with salted fish bones and tau kwa (firm Chinese tofu).

6 comments:

  1. Not sure about it, I have never heard of this fruit, is this a local grown fruit to you, and does it have a another name for export. Its looks lovely with the egg.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried bitter gourd once, when cooking with a chinese friend. I liked it. Your recipe sounds tasty.
    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Margaret,
    It is a local vegetable also called bitter melon. Wikipedia has an entry for more info.

    Hello Petra,
    Try it and let me know whether you like it. I usually slice thinner than the photo, as thin as 2mm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, I love bittergourd. Only my dad and I eat this dish whenever he does it. I was told the trick to choose bittergourd is: pick the ones with the ripples further apart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had not seen this before and thank you for letting me know more information, when I visit your country I will look out for it and try it.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Val, Thanks for the tip.
    You are most welcome, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete